Friday, September 28, 2012

Help

Help...whether it is offered or asked for?


One day, I was in college...a busy day as usual...but on that day it was slightly...shall we say..."heavy"

I need to distribute some papers to some of my classmates...so I need to a carry a box...but the thing is...carrying handouts to class is no big deal...the problem is when you have to carry everything including past years (with answer booklet) of every single subject on the same day plus the box, instantaneously and simultaneously was no ordinary ordeal...

So at this one point in class...got into a conversation...suddenly it end up i dont how to here..

"...as you can see, I'm carrying a lot of stuff...so,.bla bla bla,.." - me

" why didnt you ask for help? " - classmate

" because you didnt offer.."

"because you didnt ask.."

and then i cant remember vividly but we traded barbs on the matter until his analogy came up..

"if someone is going to kill you would you ask for help?"

"uhh..yeah...but...i'm not that desperate for help right now!"

"people should ask for help.."

"if you really want to help a person..you should offer it instead.."

And the thing just petered out...but somehow later...down the stairs...when I was taking a short break to reorganize all my stuff...the same person came up and offered to help...I just felt a bit awkward...because of my reluctance and ego...he is still willing to agree to follow my principle of help which is a bit erroneous.

But I just want to make it clear that sometimes there are reasons behind the way I acted...I dont want to spell everything out for people to know how I feel...

Besides, I wasnt really that in need for help...but in times of urgency and things that is impossible for me to solve myself..I know when to ask for help..but as long I can do things on my own...I dont want to burden other people with unnecessary errands.

But, through this experience...I decided to change my principle to be more lenient and moderate...I'll ask for help more often but not every single thing...hopefully I can achieve this in practice...

Salam...

No comments:

Post a Comment